Hair volume is a trend these days. So, ladies with natural curls have been blessed by nature. But what about ladies with short hair? Is it possible to have curls wearing a bob hairstyle? It isn’t that difficult, but you’ll need the help of a curling iron to get the desired hairstyle.
Curling irons have been around more than a decade, but many people didn’t pay attention to them until now. In the early 2000’s, wearing straight hair was the rule. Therefore, flat irons were everywhere. However, the fashion world always changes and now flat irons have lost relevance.
Celebrities like Jennifer Lawrence and Sienna Miller have shown that a short messy hair with curls looks great. It’s a versatile, practical and relaxed style. You can wear it on an informal meeting with your friends, on a beach trip or even on a formal dinner.
If you have short hair and urgently need a change of look, pay close attention. In this article you’ll find tips to using a curling iron on short hair and get results as good as celebrities.
What you should do before using a Curling Iron
Before using a curling iron, your hair should receive a pretreatment. That includes a deep wash and the application of special products. That way, your hair will be more manageable and will retain its style for longer.
Here are some basic steps you must follow to guarantee the best results.
- Choose the right tool
There’s a wide variety of sizes and models of curling irons. So, you must be careful when choosing if you want to get good results. Curling irons have different barrel diameters, which can vary between 5/8-2 inches.
If you have short hair, you should choose curling irons with smaller barrel diameters. So, a range between 5/8-3/4 inches would be perfect for you. Less diameter gives you narrower and smaller curls. Smaller models are also the best to get a well-defined spiral curling.
On the other hand, if you have a medium-length hair, you could choose a barrel diameter between ¾-1 ¼ inches. The longer the hair, the wider the range of different barrel diameters you can use.
Give a pretreatment to your hair
Curling a dirty hair isn’t a good idea. Excess fat removes firmness to your hair, so it won’t form firm curls. Also, the fat decreases the adhesion between the hair and the barrel surface. So, the curling process will be more difficult.
After curling your hair, you should apply some special products to preserve the shine and final appearance of your hair. Dirty hair won’t absorb the products’ components correctly, so your hairstyle won’t last long.
For a soft and manageable hair, use a clarifying shampoo and a good conditioner.
- Use thermal protection
The heat from a curling iron could affect your hair. Therefore, it’s convenient that you use a product to protect it from high temperatures. Thermal protectant sprays are the best, because they only add a thin protection layer and don’t leave your hair heavy as creams do.
Blowdry lotions and mousses can add extra control to your hair and prevent frizz. If you have unruly hair, you should opt for any of these options.
- Dry your hair
You can’t use a curling iron on wet hair. Therefore, after washing your hair and applying the necessary products, you should dry it using a blowdryer. Be careful not to apply too much heat or dry it too much. Otherwise, your hair will look terrible.
- Divide your hair into sections
To keep things under control, it’s better to divide your hair into different sections. Set a route and follow it until the end of the curling process. For example, you can start from your right ear and end in your left ear.
The hair sections should be small, so you have better control. The longer the hair, the more sections you should do.
Once you have completed these previous steps, now you’re ready to start curling.
How to use a hair curler?
There’s always a first time. To know how to use a tapered curling wand like a pro, you must first take your first lessons. Below, you’ll find a step-by-step guide of how to use a hair curler properly.
- Begin to curl the first section of hair. Keep the curling wand away from your face so you don’t burn yourself. Then, extend the hair section and wrap it over the hot barrel while you hold it in an upright position.
- Wait 10 seconds for the hair to lose moisture and stay curly. Then, release. When you do it, be careful not to touch the tips with the hot wand, or you’ll lose that messy look you’re seeking.
- After releasing your hair from the barrel, hold it in your hand for 3 seconds. This will prevent your curls from losing volume and becoming too loose. Don’t comb your hair if your hair is still hot. This is one of the most common curling iron mistakes. Better wait for the hair to reach room temperature.
- Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 until completely curling your hair. Remember that you must follow a logical order to not forget any section of your hair.
- During the process, maybe the tips of your hair curled too much, causing you to lose that relaxed look you want. To correct it, use a flat iron and gently slide it over the tips. Do it quickly so you don’t burn them.
- To add extra volume and keep your hairstyle for longer, apply texturizing spray on your dry hair. Shake your curls while you apply the product, so it penetrates the roots and distributes evenly.
- Finally, apply a bit of hair pomade on the tips.
And that’s all you need to do to show off amazing curls on very short hair.
If you don’t consider yourself an expert in curling irons, you probably have many questions. In this FAQ section, you’ll find answers to the most common questions.
- How hot does a curling iron get?
Some curling irons reach a higher temperature than others. The more unruly the hair, the higher the temperature you must apply. That way, the hair loses moisture and holds its shape.
Most curling irons in the market can reach temperatures between 200º-450º F. The higher the temperature, the lower the time the hair should remain on the barrel to not burn.
- How do you use a curling wand?
To use a curling wand you first need to apply a pretreatment on your hair and divide it into sections. Wrap each section of hair on the barrel, forming a spiral. Wait 10 seconds while the hair loses moisture. Then, release.
- What is the difference between a curling iron and a curling wand?
Curling irons have a clasp to hold the hair while curling. Also, the barrel has a cylindrical shape. On the other hand, curling wands have no clasp and the barrel is tapered.
Curling irons provide uniform sized curls, while you can get curls of multiple sizes using curling wands.