Since the dawn of humanity, humans have always tried to distinguish themselves from the rest. For this purpose to change their appearance and alternate their beauty has led them to many unique discoveries, one of which are lipsticks. Therefore these glossy cosmetics have been the most used beauty product of all time. In the twentieth century, the lipstick industry grew so fast that many people were trying to find the secret formula for how to make a lipstick that’ll be better than the rest.
Accordingly, this has led us to thousands of brands of lipsticks, each with a different color, texture, and feel. Today, we’ve come to a point where over 80% of women in North America use lipsticks on a regular basis while over 30% of them have more than 20 lipsticks in their home. This is quite surprising indeed. Although most of the women purchase the lipsticks from the nearby cosmetics store, it is not quite recommended. Rather than purchasing, they can make their own lipsticks easily and effectively. Let’s now look into how to make lipstick and why you should make it instead of buying it from a store.
Why should you make your own lipstick?
This is a common question asked by many women. Why should you make your own lipstick whereas you can get them from a cosmetics shop at a really affordable price? Why take the extra hassle? To begin with, let’s explain why. First, lipsticks have toxic ingredients that can lead you to serious illnesses. In a research by Environmental Health Perspectives, a government-funded journal, it was proven that lipsticks contain considerable amounts of lead, cadmium, chromium, aluminum and many toxic metals that can potentially cause cancer and many other serious diseases. The top brands’ lipsticks also contain traceable amounts of toxic minerals and metals that can be very harmful to the human body.
Apart from the toxicity, the high-quality lipsticks are quite expensive. Since most of the top brands are out of reach for many people, which explains why you should make your own lipstick. You’ll save money and ensure that you’ll be protecting yourself from the toxic metals – and still get the excellent glossy finish!
How to make lipstick?
Until now, we’ve seen why you should make lipsticks at home. Let’s now look into the ways in which you can make your own DIY lipstick and in addition what lipstick ingredients you’ll need. Stick through our lipstick tutorial and you’ll also be able to make your own lipstick!
Method 1: Using Natural Ingredients
When making lipstick, it is recommended that you use natural ingredients. Hence this will eliminate any risk of potential metal and other toxic products. This means that you can use this lipstick anytime you want to use!
- Beeswax- 1 teaspoon
- Shea butter, avocado butter, almond butter or mango butter – 1 teaspoon
- Oil (almond, extra virgin olive oil or jojoba oil)- 1 teaspoon
- ¼ teaspoon of natural color (beetroot for bright red, cinnamon for reddish-brown, turmeric for yellow and cocoa powder for deep brown)
Steps to follow
- First, choose the color of your lipstick
- Then put the beeswax, butter, and oil into a cup
- Place the cup in a microwave
- Melt the ingredients till they become liquid
- Put the color ingredient and stir
- Pour the mixture into an empty container till they dry
Method 2: Using Eyeshadows
If you are not into hassles, you can use eyeshadows to make your own perfect lipstick. Take note that some eyeshadows may be potentially harmful, which is why you should inspect the ingredients before you use it for making your lipstick.
- High-quality powdered eyeshadow (not containing ultramarines, ferric ferrocyanide, and/or chromium oxides)
- 1 tablespoon of petroleum jelly
Steps to follow
- Take the petroleum jelly and scoop it onto a small cup
- Add eyeshadow powder to the jelly
- Stir until the desired color is achieved
- Pour into a container and store it
Method 3: Using Crayons
The best thing about using crayons is that you’ll be able to achieve any particular color or shadow that you like. You can use any broken down or useless crayon to make your own gorgeous lipstick, and that within just a few minutes!
- 1 crayon of the chosen color (non-toxic ones)
- Double boiler (or just two saucepans)
- Almond, extra virgin olive oil or jojoba oil- 1 teaspoon
Steps to follow
- Set up the double boiler
- Place the crayon on the boiler and let it melt
- Pour the melted crayon onto a cup
- Add oil for smooth operation
- Add fragrance to enhance the scent
- Stir the ingredients till they mix properly
- Pour the mixture onto the container
- Freeze the mixture till it hardens
Method 4: Combining old lipsticks
It’s another cost-effective method in which you can use your old lipsticks and combine them. You’ll be saving money and reducing your waste! Let’s look into what you’ll need and how to make it.
- Old lipsticks (same colored preferred)
- Petroleum jelly or beeswax- 1 teaspoon
Steps to follow
- Scoop all of the remaining lipsticks and pour them onto a small cup
- Heat the lipsticks for 5 seconds in a microwave till it melts
- Add beeswax or petroleum jelly
- Wait for it to cool
… and making lipsticks is just as easy as it seems!
Lipsticks are one of the most popular cosmetics. The lipsticks give a unique color, texture and feel to the lips and make them more attractive to the males. They are cheap and easily accessible. However, these lipsticks contain toxic metals that may lead to serious diseases. This is why you should consider making your own lipstick.
To facilitate your understanding of how to make lipstick, we’ve provided you with four different methods that you can use. They are very simple and will require only a few minutes of your time. The best thing? – they’re safe!
We hope that we’re able to cover all the necessary details. Write to us if you think we’ve missed anything or if you have any queries!